Update a holiday classic by making a delicious cranberry sauce simmered in red wine, oranges and spices. Not only will this sauce pair great with turkey, it would also be delicious on other meats such as duck or pork. Packaged in a beautiful jar, this would make a very thoughtful gift for anyone hosting a holiday party.
Cranberry Wine Sauce
Yield: 3 cups
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 c. red wine
1 c. sugar
3 c. (12 oz) fresh or frozen & thawed cranberries*
2 tbsp. orange zest
2 mandarin or clementine oranges, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1) In a medium pot, bring wine and sugar to a boil.
2) Add the oranges, cranberries, zest, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt.
3) Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the berries have burst.
4) Remove from heat and serve.
* Chef’s Note: Only use fresh cranberries if they are ripe, as unripe berries will impart a bitter taste to your sauce. Frozen cranberries offer the benefit of being picked at their peak, so they are a great alternative when good quality fresh cranberries are not available.
Choose a unique and pretty jar for gift-giving, and embellish with a little ribbon and gift tag.