Cake pops have become very popular nowadays, but without the proper equipment, it’s not easy to create them at home. So instead of making them out of cake, try making them out of cereal (like a Rice Krispie Treat). Without the need to bake anything (and you can use gluten-free ingredients!), these will turn out perfect every time. The best part is this food gift can fit into any occasion by using candies that are in line with a theme. For Halloween, try using candy corn. At Christmas, candy canes work great. And for a bridal shower, choose a candy in the bride’s favorite color.
Yield: 12 Fake Pops
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
2 tbsp. butter
3 c. puffed rice cereal (such as “Rice Krispies”)
250 g (8 oz) marshmallows, regular size
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. white chocolate
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. crushed candy bits (the best candies are the harder ones which crush easily)
12 lollipop sticks
1) In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
2) Add the vanilla and stir. Add the cereal and mix until well coated by the melted marshmallows. Allow to cool slightly until warm to touch.
3) Working quickly before the mixture hardens, use your hands to roll chunks of the cereal into 2 inch sized balls.
4) Place a lollipop stick into each ball, ensuring they are securely in place.
5) In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate on high heat for 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is just melted. Do not over heat. Stir in 1 tbsp. vegetable oil.
6) Using a spoon, pour chocolate over each ball and rotate at the stick to allow the chocolate to run over the entire surface. Immediately sprinkle with candy bits.
7) Rest each fake pop on an elevated cooling rack, allowing the stick to hang down through the rack’s grates. Allow to cool until set.
Display each fake pop in a tall glass to make a “bouquet,” or give them away as individual gifts by wrapping the top of each fake pop in a small plastic bag and securing it shut with a ribbon.