Imagine a tall, yummy mountain of sweet and silky creaminess, infused with the delicious spirit of Irish cream. Sound amazing? Then you’ll love this quick and easy recipe for homemade Irish Cream Frosting! By whipping together a few simple ingredients – with a splash of Irish whiskey – it’s a delicious big-kid topping with a little bit of leprechaun mischief.
For a quick and easy treat, try it over a set of store-bought brownie bites. Or, if you love making things from scratch, surprise yourself with new ingredients by trying my recipe for chocolate quinoa cupcakes (just omit the pomegranate filing). In fact, this recipe is so versatile, you could even use it as a cake filling or a topping over strawberries. Whether it’s over your grandma’s secret brownie recipe to a boxed cake mix, this is an equal opportunity frosting that will pair well with anything. At the end of the day, the most important thing is to be generous with it – after all, a great frosting like this will always be the main attraction!
Irish Cream Frosting
Yield: 1 cup (enough for 24 small cupcakes or brownie bites)
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
4 oz. / 113 g. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 tbsp. butter, softened at room temperature
3 tbsp. Irish Whiskey
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. powdered sugar
24 brownie bites (or your favorite chocolate brownies)
1 tsp. sugar sprinkles (optional)
1) In a mixer, blend together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2) Add the whiskey and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
3) Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely incorporated.
4) Using a spoon or piping bag, cover the top of each brownie with frosting*. For an added touch, top with sugar sprinkles.
* Chef’s Tip: When frosting any sort of baked good, it’s important to work with a cooled surface or the topping will melt upon contact. If using freshly baked brownies, let them come to room temperature before frosting. For tips on how to pipe a gorgeous swirl of icing, check out this great tutorial by Our Best Bites.
If using this recipe over brownie bites, pipe a tall swirl of frosting on top and adorn it with a set of colorful cupcake holders. Not only will the liners make it an eye-catching treat, it will also make it an easy to share (especially if using store-bought brownie bites – this will really jazz them up!).