With Mother’s Day, weddings, and the Kentucky Derby just around the corner, a really sweet gift or hostess idea would be this recipe for homemade Rose Petal Sugar Cubes. With a pretty mold and a small number of ingredients, you’ll be amazed just how easy these are to make in just a short amount of time! In addition to looking like something fit for royalty, the subtle flavor and floral aroma from the rose petals will add a gourmet touch to any cup of tea. Not only would these be perfect at a tea party, they could also be used to decorate a cake or as a garnish for other desserts. Or, if you want to switch it up, you could even replace the sugar with salt to make some beautiful bath salts too!
To make these extra special, look for a pretty style of mold. While almost any type will work, my favorite by far are the flexible silicon molds used for cake fondant and marzipan, like this one by the N.Y. Cake Company:
Exclusively made by N.Y. Cake, this mold of a heart, angel, picture frame and brooch of a queen is designed with intricate and lacy details, which makes for a gorgeous and unique set of homemade sugar cubes. Not only that, it is robust enough that it can withstand high heats (which could be great for caramel and hard candies) and is dishwasher safe. And the good news is that if you love these as much as I do, then I’ve also got a surprise for you! The N.Y. Cake Company would like to offer a free giveaway of this fancy silicon mold (including shipping it right to your door!).
To enter this contest, all you need to do is one (or more!) of the following actions:
– Leave a nice note in the comments section below
– Follow Homemade For Friends by email
– “Like” Homemade For Friends on Facebook
– Follow Homemade For Friends via any of the social media platforms here
But act fast, as this contest will close at the stroke of midnight (EST) on Sunday, May 11, 2014! After that time, one lucky name will be drawn from the pool of entries, and the winner will be contacted with further details. Note that this contest is only open to residents in the US and Canada.
A big thank you goes out to the N.Y. Cake company for sponsoring another sweet giveaway on Homemade For Friends. Good luck everyone!
*** UPDATE: Congratulations to Emilia for the winning entry into this giveaway! Thanks to all who entered as well. Be sure to keep following Homemade For Friends, as more giveaways will be popping up here again soon 🙂
Rose Petal Sugar Cubes
Yield: About 40 cubes (with an approximate volume of 3/4 teaspoons each)
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
1 tbsp. dried organic (edible) rose petals, finely crushed (available online at stores like Kalustyan’s or The Silk Road Spice Merchant)
1 tbsp. water*
4 drops of red food coloring (optional)
1 c. sugar
1) Mix the water and food coloring together.
2) Separately, mix together the sugar and rose petals until the rose petals are evenly distributed within the sugar.
3) Combine the liquids with the sugar mixture and stir until the sugar has the consistency of snow.
4) Press enough sugar into each mold until it is well packed, smooth the top surface by scraping off any excess sugar, then gently pop out of the mold. Repeat until all of the sugar has been used up.
5) Allow the sugar to dry at room temperature for 4 hours or more until solid. If stored in an airtight container, these should stay fragrant for up to a month.
For a more intense rose flavor, you can also steep 1 tablespoon of dried rose petals in 1/2 cup of hot water for 30 minutes (but just be sure to allow it to cool to room temperature before using so that it doesn’t dissolve the sugar).
Packaged up in a pretty gift bag, tea-cup, or sugar container, these would make an impressive gift for any occasion, like Mother’s Day to wedding favors!